On Halloween afternoon, after much anticipation of our Halloween party, we started our pumpkin investigation project. It was a gooey, smelly, slimy, fun time!
Each group of three or four students was given a pumpkin to investigate. We started with the outside of the pumpkin by counting the lines, measuring the stem length, and measuring the circumference.
To end our pumpkin fun, we made a pumpkin volcano by adding vinegar to baking soda. We also tried adding baking soda to vinegar to see if the results would be the same. They were!
Check out more photos and a video of our pumpkin volcano below!
After recording these findings on our investigation charts, we cut the pumpkins open and looked at the inside. We used adjectives to describe the pumpkin and counted the seeds in the pumpkin by putting the seeds into groups of ten.
Near the end of our investigation, we compared the sizes of the pumpkins and the number of seeds in each. We realized that the size of the pumpkin did not determine how many seeds were in the pumpkin!